We are pleased to announce details for the next run of Advanced Leading Your Technical Team. This programme will help meet the needs of technical managers, who have previously attended the introductory technical programmes. 23 – 28 June 2008 in Manchester. Application Form
Advanced Leading Your Technical Team has been designed within the overlapping contexts of HE and that of the technical management role in a modern university, as well as providing a real challenge to participants by exploring difficult issues which will impact on their leadership, looking for pragmatic ways to tackle these and using up to date leadership research. The whole programme is designed for impact – participants will progress personal leadership change as a result of attending the workshop.
Evaluations comments from previous participants of the programme include:
“The best course I have been on during my whole career in IT”.
“Engaging, relevant, excellent”.
“The aims were achieved with plenty of opportunity to explore and question the information given”.
“Informative, interesting very useful to help me back in the workplace”.
Specific programme goals
By the end of the programme participants will have:
- Identified key issues in their leadership role at their institution and developed extra insights into them. In particular we will take a forward look to what they have to address in order to be effective, as well as working on the â€˜today vs tomorrow’ issues – e.g. how can we manage the day to day issues as well as building future strategy.
- Learnt a range of practical ideas/models in the area of â€˜strategic’ and â€˜people’ leadership, as well as covering some of the up to date relevant research.
- Specifically explored models to help them think and act strategically in their roles. This will include making a â€˜paper strategy’ actually happen, influencing key staff and â€˜taking them with you’ in order to be consequential and have a strategy that actually works – a pragmatic approach to strategies development and implementation.
- Identified and worked on their individual emotional intelligence and leadership styles profiles, using up to date research on effective leadership. This goal will use some up to date research on effective leadership. Specifically participants will complete questionnaires that provide a picture of their current abilities as well as real ideas for future development.
- Applied the ideas throughout the programme to their own leadership situations, now and for their own career development.
- Identified and documented an action plan to transfer the ideas from the programme to the workplace.
The programme has been specifically designed for technical managers who have already attended one of the introductory leadership programmes (in recent years held in Stirling, Sheffield and Bournemouth) and/or find themselves undertaking a very senior technical management role.
Bob Hardwick, Leadership Foundation for Higher Education Associate.
Ian Moulson, Departmental Manager, Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University of Sheffield.
Steve Walker, Training and Development Consultant, Steve Walker & Associates Ltd.
Manchester Marriott Airport Hotel.
From: 11.00 am on Monday 23 June 2008
To: Lunchtime on Wednesday 25 June 2008
Programme Fee: Member Institutions: Â£795 inclusive of all meals and en-suite accommodation (2 nights).*
Your institution must be a member of the Leadership Foundation for the members’ fee to apply.
*Non-Member Institutions: Â£994
Cancellations made two months or more before the first day of the course – the full fee will be credited to the institution. Cancellations made between 4 & 8 weeks before the first day of the course – half the fee will be credited to the institution. Cancellations made within 4 weeks of the first day of the course – the full fee will be retained by the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education. Full details of the Leadership Foundation transfer and cancellation policy can be found on our website.
Please contact Wendy Mason to cancel your place on the programme
Please return the completed application form by post, fax or email before the closing date of Friday 2 May 2008 to:
The Leadership Foundation for Higher Education
Kingfisher House, 90 Rockingham Street
Sheffield S1 4EB
T: 0114 270 0188 F: 0114 272 6354